Using the mouse
- These will appeal to users who prefer using a mouse to a keyboard. To use them, simply click the toolbutton. See Toolbars.
- To maximize screen space you can hide unneeded toolbars by unticking them in the Toolbar menu, or in your Options settings.
- The Tree pane also has its own icons in the form of small square boxes next to each node with "+" or "-" signs.
Clicking an item in a menu will often cause submenus to drop down. See Main menu.
Context (popup) menus
Right-clicking a node in the Tree pane or in various places in the Article pane will cause a menu to pop up. This is termed a context menu because the choices displayed depend on where the mouse cursor happened to be when you right-clicked, i.e., on the context of that location. This is very convenient as you can make your selection wherever you happen to have your mouse cursor without having to drag it over to the Main menu or the toolbar, then back again to where you were working. You will probably save time and effort if you use the context menus wherever possible in preference to the Main menu or the toolbar.
See Handy Hints #1.
To save typing and avoid confusion, the menu which appears when you right-click a node in the Tree pane will be called the Tree context menu, while the one which appears when you right-click in the Article pane will be called the Article context menu. If you examine these you will notice that the contents are quite different because of the different actions required in each pane.
To close either menu, press Esc or click outside the menu with the mouse.
To avoid conflicts, unavailable choices in the submenus or the menus will be displayed faintly.
- You do not need to right-click the Tree pane or Article pane to bring up the Article menu. Simply press Shift+F10 and the appropriate context menu will appear. This is a useful feature if you wish to keep your hands on the keyboard.
- If you have a wheel mouse, you can use the wheel to scroll the Tree, Article and Accessory panes vertically. Some wheel mice enable you to scroll these panes horizontally too.