Article search and replace
This function allows you to search for one or more instances of the a specific string of characters (termed a search string) within an article and replace none, some or all with another string of characters, termed the replacement string. For example, you might want to replace every instance of "Joe" with "Fred".
To access the article Search⁄replace tab
- Press Ctrl+F when in the Article pane and click the Search⁄replace tab; or
- Press Shift+F12 when in either the Tree pane or the Article pane and click the Search⁄replace tab; or
- Click Main menu ⁄ Search ⁄ Article replace; or
- Click Article context menu ⁄ Search ⁄ Article and click the Search⁄replace tab; or
Click the Article search and replace toolbutton on the View toolbar
To search for and replace text within an article
- Enter the text to be searched for in the Text to find: field by clicking in the field and typing it in, or, having previously copied it from somewhere else to the Windows Clipboard, clicking Paste or pressing Ctrl+V to paste it in;
- Similarly, enter the text to replace it in the Replace with: field;
- Specify different search options if needed by clicking the button Show options (see Article search and replace options);
- Click Replace one or Replace all to replace the first occurrence or all occurrences of the search string;
- Click Close to close the Article search window.
- Replacements cannot be reversed using the article Undo function (Ctrl+Z)
- Clicking Search tree closes the Article search window and opens the Tree search window
- You can change the font used in the search string and replacement string in the TreePad options screen (menu⁄view⁄options)
- The Spelling checker can also be used to replace text in an article. This feature is unique to TreePad Business Edition.
- Currently Search⁄replace will also find and replace hidden characters such as node IDs which are not displayed in underlined hyperlinks but match the search string, potentially causing invalid hyperlinks! This can be a good reason to leave the Prompt on replace box ticked.