- Please note that most article shortcuts work only if the Article pane has the focus.
- You will find many of these keyboard shortcuts displayed on the Tree menu, the main edit menu, the format menu and the Article context menu.
- Features marked in red pertain to TreePad special editions.
Shift+F10: Display the Tree or Article context menu, whichever pane has the focus.
Tab or Ctrl+Tab: Switch focus between Tree and Article panes or insert a tab character, depending on options settings1.
F11: Change focus to the Tree pane9.
Ctrl+F7: Article statistics
Navigating the article
Cursor keys (Left | Right): Move cursor left | right one space
Ctrl+Cursor keys (Left | Right): Move cursor left | right one word
Ctrl+Cursor keys (Up | Down): Scroll up | down one line
Home: Go to beginning of current line
End: Go to end of current line
Cursor keys (Up | Down): Move cursor up | down one line
Page Up | Page Down: Move cursor up | down one page
Ctrl+(Home | End): Go to beginning | end of article
Navigating the tree from within the Article pane
Ctrl+Alt+Up arrow: Moves focus to the node one line up.
Ctrl+Alt+Down arrow: Moves focus to the node one line down.
Ctrl+Alt+Left arrow: Moves focus to the root node of the current subtree.
Ctrl+Alt+Right arrow: If the current node is the root node of a currently open subtree, it moves focus to the first child node of that subtree.
Please note that the article will retain focus while navigating the tree.
Undoing and Redoing
Ctrl+Z: Undo the last edit command (also undoes paste, cut, etc.)
Ctrl+Y: Redo the last edit command (reverses Ctrl+Z)
Selecting (highlighting) text
From the current cursor position:
Shift+[cursor keys]: Select a block of text which is then highlighted.
E.g. Shift+down selects the next line down, etc.
Shift+Home: Select all text to the beginning of the line.
Shift+End: Select all text to the end of the line.
Shift+Ctrl+Home: Select all text to the beginning of the article.
Shift+Ctrl+End: Select all text to the end of the article.
Ctrl+A: Select All text in the article.
Cutting, copying and pasting text
Ctrl+X: Cut selected text from article to Windows Clipboard
Ctrl+C or Ctrl+Insert: Copy selected rich text to Windows Clipboard
Ctrl+V or Shift+Insert: Paste selected rich text from Windows Clipboard
Shift+Ctrl+C: Copy selected text to Windows Clipboard as plain text
Shift+Ctrl+V: Paste Windows Clipboard contents in as plain text
Shift+Alt+C: Copy formatting only2
Shift+Alt+V: Paste formatting only2
Ctrl+X: Cut selected image from file to Windows Clipboard13
Ctrl+C or Ctrl+Insert: Copy selected image to Windows Clipboard13
Ctrl+V or Shift+Insert: Paste selected image from Windows Clipboard13
Shift+Ctrl+Q: Copy clone (image reference) to Windows Clipboard14
Shift+Ctrl+P: Paste clone (image reference) from Windows Clipboard14
Del: Delete selected image from file
If no text is highlighted
Del: Delete character to the right of cursor
Ctrl+Del: Delete word to the right of cursor
Backspace: Delete character to the left of cursor
Ctrl+Backspace: Delete word to the left of cursor
Shift+Ctrl+Del: Delete the entire contents of an article (you will be asked to confirm this)
If any text is highlighted
Del or Shift+Ctrl+Del: Delete only highlighted text.
Manual paragraph sorting
Shift+Alt+Up: Move the current paragraph up6
Shift+Alt+Down: Move the current paragraph down6
Shift+Ctrl+H: Insert a hyperlink at the article cursor position
Shift+Ctrl+Alt+H: Insert hyperlinks to multiple files
Ctrl+Shift+Click on node to select it in Tree pane then click in Article pane where you want hyperlink inserted3
Ctrl+H or Double-click on a link: Follow hyperlink (alternatively, instead of double-click, you can specify single-click hyperlink activation in the options screen).
Shift+Ctrl+K: Insert a hyperlink at the article cursor position to a new node15
Shift+Ctrl+N: Insert a hyperlink at the article cursor position to selected node(s) in Accessory pane.15
Shift+Alt+P: Paste node as hyperlink12
Shift+Ctrl+-: Superscript8 (hold down the Shift, Ctrl and '-' keys)
Ctrl+=: Subscript8 (hold down the Ctrl and '=' keys)
Ctrl+]: Increase article font size by 1 point9
Ctrl+[: Decrease article font size by 1 point9
Ctrl+L: Set the paragraph alignment to 'Left'
Ctrl+E: Set the paragraph alignment to 'Center'
Ctrl+R: Set the paragraph alignment to 'Right'
Ctrl+J: Set the paragraph alignment to 'Justify'
Ctrl+M: Increase paragraph indentation
Shift+Ctrl+M: Decrease paragraph indentation
F6: Toggle auto-indentation
Ctrl+Alt+F: set focus to font-name combo box
Ctrl+Alt+L: show font color dialog
Ctrl+Alt+S: set focus to font-size combo box
Ctrl+Alt+1, 2, ... 9: Apply quick-formatting style # to selected text (from Menu⁄Format⁄Quick format)
Shift+Ctrl+Alt+1: Remove leading spaces and ">" symbols
Shift+Ctrl+Alt+2: Remove leading spaces and ">" symbols, and hard carriage returns
Ctrl+[.]: Apply symbol bullets
Ctrl+[,]: Apply numbered bullets
Shift+Ctrl+[.]: Remove any bullet symbols
Shift+Alt+T: Convert article to plain text10
Inserting other text7
Shift+Alt+D: Insert any date from a calendar4
Shift+Ctrl+D: Insert the current date4
Shift+Ctrl+T: Insert the current time4
Shift+Ctrl+J: Insert the current date and time4
Shift+Ctrl+H: Insert a hyperlink (see also Hyperlinks above)
Shift+Ctrl+L: Insert a horizontal line
Shift+Ctrl+O: Insert a table of contents (top level only)
Shift+Ctrl+W: Insert the title of the current node
Alt+0 (zero): Insert a character11
Searching and replacing
Ctrl+F: Search Tree or Search Article, depending on which pane has the current focus
Shift+F12: Search Article
F3: Find first⁄next occurrence of search string currently saved in Search article window, whether or not this window is displayed
Shift+Ctrl+R: Replace text in article
Alt+]: Zoom in (magnify)
Alt+[: Zoom out (diminish)
Alt+.: Reset magnification to 100%
Tab: Add a row at the bottom5.
TreePad Business Edition only
F7: Spelling checker
- See Switching between Tree and Article panes.
- See Copy special and Paste special.
- See Using the mouse to create links to nodes.
- To set the format of the inserted date⁄time, see Date, time and calendar functions.
- Click in rightmost cell of lowest row to position mouse cursor there before pressing Tab key.
- Also use these commands to move single lines up or down as long as they end in a hard carriage return. Useful to manually sort a list. See Sorting text.
- See Insert menu for more details.
- See Superscripts and subscripts for more details.
- Unlike the Tab ⁄ Ctrl+Tab commands which toggle focus between Tree and Article panes, this command always changes pane focus to the Tree pane. If inserted at the beginning of a Tree command keyboard macro, it will prevent the macro from being accidentally executed in the Article pane. Compare this with F12, which always changes pane focus to the Article pane when the Tree pane has focus, but has no effect when the Article pane has focus. See Tree shortcuts.
- This removes all formatting and all images from the article. See Reversing, removing and converting formatting.
- See Inserting special characters.
- Uses information derived from Copy node as hyperlink.
- See Cutting, Copying and Pasting images into an article.
- See Cloning image references.
- See Insert menu for more details.
When applied to node font size, these commands increase⁄decrease it by 2 points.