The table management tab contains the following functions:
(1) Verify tables: check the validity of database tables
(2) Repair tables: repair any corrupted database tables
(3) Optimize tables: remove unused space in database tables
(4) Delete safety copies: delete any backups made during 'optimize tables'
(5) Database size: gives you the total size of the database on disk, as well as the size of the safety copy files. More information.
(6) Make a backup: makes a copy of the database inside zip file (the location of the zip file can be specified). More information.
When 'create backups during optimize' is marked, a backup file will be created of each database table during optimize tables (inside the same directory as the database files). The advantage of enabling this option is that it gives you an extra level of security, but it uses more disk space.